<VV> protecting Corvair worth, was: arrogance WAS telecolumn

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Feb 26 12:58:01 EST 2010

To some degree I agree with this post very much.  Certainly adding
dealer options only adds to the value.  There is no way to determine
which dealer options came with a car.  Sometimes the car is purchased
with them, sometimes they were added after purchase.  I like the
clocks, tissue dispensers, parking brake alarms, trunk and hood
lights, and gas heaters (dealer option in 62) -- so I put them
in.  As to adding factory options, it is a bit trickier.  A car is
worth more with the original invoice -- and if you have that, it
should stay like that (if protecting value is all you care
about).   If not, then many factory options that cannot be deciphered
from the body plates are pretty much fair game.  Changing color,
putting a different engine, changing from PG to stick, etc. are more
problematic.  I agree that in the Corvair world it has traditionally
not cared much about these things.  But times are changing --
non-Corvair people are spending larger dollars on Corvairs than
people thought possible 10 years ago, and they do look for
originality.  Of course, if you are just enjoying the car for
yourself ... do whatever you like! But it is not snobbery or
arrogance to keep a car stock.  I keep two of mine bone-stock as far
as factory options go. Just an opinion. Eric

At 07:30 AM 2/26/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 10
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:30:26 -0500
>From: "airvair at earthlink.net" <airvair at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: <VV> protecting Corvair worth, was: arrogance WAS
>         telecolumn
>To: "Crawford Rose" <crawfordrose at msn.com>,     "Virtualvairs at Corvair.
>         Org" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>There is where you are flat out wrong. Adding accessories to a Corvair
>never hurts the value of it (unless the job is totally botched, of course),
>because the Corvair hobby is not as snooty as that segment of the Corvette
>hobby who insist that a car HAS to be in as-built condition. That segment
>is where I and virtually all other Corvair owners and enthusiasts part ways
>with those snobs.
>
>Fact is, adding (factory/dealer-installed) accessories only INCREASES the
>value of Corvairs. So adding a tele column to a Corvair that didn't have it
>from the factory adds value to the car.
>
>Second, changing steering columns is not rocket science. It's as easy as
>unbolting the old and bolting in the new. I've done it many times. No
>safety issues are involved whatsoever, when done with the right parts. And
>since there is so virtually NO variation in Corvair steering columns, as
>long as the parts are interchangable, getting the "wrong" part or
>installing something wrong is all but impossible.
>
>The problem is that Corvette people, by buying up Corvair parts, are
>denying Corvair people the ability to upgrade their cars and improve the
>value of them. And it's not like Corvettes are hurting for the inability to
>create reproduction  parts. Lord knows, they have far better abilities for
>getting parts reproduced (spelled MONEY) than we do. So why don't they just
>let loose of some of their moldy money and get the parts they need
>reproduced, instead of robbing their poorer cousins?
>
>-Mark

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.