<VV> pulling steering wheel/professional repair

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 28 13:59:55 EST 2010

>I would  love to hear how you do it, as I tried many ways before I had
>the puller,  and still half heartedly try ...

I've worked with my friend Roger for a good number of years, starting
Back When doing alignments on the Chrysler series K-member cars for a
dealer -- if the steering wheels weren't perfectly straight (Chrysler's
quality control wasn't really sharp on the cars we saw), we'd just move
the wheel a spline or two -- one of us would pull on the wheel, and the
other would hold a ball peen hammer on the shaft (centered by the nut
turned mostly off) and strike it with a second hammer, and the wheels
would generally just pop off -- sometimes a second, harder, strike was
required.  Replacing damamged K-members on mostly newish cars was
another well-paying pastime.

Since this has mostly been as paid employment as an ASE certified
mechanic, I suppose it qualifies as "professional".  Often, the only
difference between "professional" and "back yard" or "shade tree" can be
that paycheck.   There are still a lot of folks that consider Smokey
Yunick to be a back yarder, because he did not complete any formal
education.  So there is a lot of gray area here regarding "professional".

Okay, I am not a "gorilla" -- acutally my upper body strength is
somewhat modest for a former oarsman -- but while waiting for Roger to
find the right hammers, I found I could occasionally just pull a wheel
off.  So I started to become more determined about it, sometimes using
knees, but rarely finding a wheel that came off  with "half hearted"
effort.  It is sort of a mind over matter zen-ish thing -- you have to
"know" that wheel is coming off -- yes a little gentle working back and
forth can help (alternately pulling harder on one side than the other,
but still pulling on both sides) --  and not all wheels come off without
a puller, but a surprising majority do.  A good solid brake pedal
mounting helps, too -- ioe, no cars you can put your feet through the
floorboards.  It is a sorta a ya have to do one once to think you can do
it more than once.  A puller will work, but it is not faster,
remembering time is money when working "professionally".

I do not choose to try pulling antique, flat, or valuable steering
wheels this way.  I have a good puller and know how to use it when
needed. You've seen wheels bent up in crashes, well, you can also bend
and crack them pulling from other than the center hub, so some caution
is reccomended, especially disconnecting air bags and not fully removing
the nut off the shaft.

The hammer strike thing is not probably not doing the steering gear much
good, either, fwiw.

Bill Strickland