<VV> "trailer queens" vs. drivers

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Jan 1 13:41:44 EST 2010

I have a problem with "Trailer Queens".  But not ALL trailer queens are
alike.

Some owners will trailer their car to a convention or a race, and once there
will drive autocross with insane abandon in order to win a "Dust Catcher".
Others drive with the same abandon to judge their skill against other
drivers usine the same basic car platform.    I won't say there's anything
wrong with either approach,  at least they DRIVE them.

My friend Bill Hubbell sometimes drives his car, sometimes trailers
it--Depending on where it's going and what he plans to use the car for on
that trip. But you can bet as sure as your butt points south, that when he
turns the key, all systems are functioning properly.  The restoration on his
64 was meticulous, and certainly got my respect for a very well done job.

And I also totally understand the trailering of a car to compete in
Concours.  Also not my glass of tea, but I've watched many people prepare
for Concours----many are list members, and if you want to take the deduction
for trailering, you probably saved yourself a butt-load of work re-cleaning
the car.

The first show I went to after buying my first Corvair where there was a
Corvair class was on the front lawn at Chevrolet Tonawanda Engine Plant in
Buffalo, in June of 1988.  One of the cars was from Rochester, I believe.
Perfect Factory stock car, a 67or 69 Monza 2dr.  Never restored from what I
was told, and had only about 9K on it.

What gave me the red ass is when they were leaving they pushed it into the
trailer. When I inquired "Why not start it and drive it in ?"  I was told
that if it was started, oil would puke from every seal on the car.  THEY
NEVER DROVE IT----EVER.  Just roll it off the trailer to sit in the grass
and be looked at, then push it back in the trailer, park the trailer at the
house, and the car doesn't see the light of day until the next show. I also
surmised that the exhaust system was probably rotten on the inside, manifold
gaskets were missing, and the brake system was probably siezed.   I wanted
to, but didn't suggest they just park it lenghways on their lawn, cut off
the top, fill the thing with dirt and plant flowers in it, for all the
usefulness as originally designed  it was in its present condition.

It's just my opinion of course, and everyone's mileage may vary. But what I
CAN tell you is that If I had a Corvair and couldn't drive it,  I wouldn't
want it.

Driving the Corvair (to me)  is the most fun part of owning one.

Restoring them can be a labor of love, as mine has been with the Ultra
Monza----Which is juuuust about ready for primer.   But it is LABOR
nonetheless.  I'd prefer to be driving rather than restoring.

And not for the horn beeps, the waves and high fives and the stories people
want to tell you in the parking lot or the gas station.   But because it's a
FUN CAR TO DRIVE.

So let's not be TOO tough on cars that get trailered.  Except for the ones
that can't be driven, there's usually a good reason why it's on a trailer
and not on the road.

BTW, As my CORSA membership expired yesterday, Thanks for the free ride on
VV!!   If it makes ya mad, let me know--I've a LONG list of Directors and
other sympathizers of the "Free Ride" you can express your derisions to.

Hank