<VV> Rod Cap Removal

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Jan 1 13:45:55 EST 2010

Just keep wiggling. Sometimes small taps, and I do mean small-no metal
movement wanted here! on the junction of the rod and cap can help. This
is where the numbers are stamped. Plastic hammer best as Harry says, I
usually just have an 8 oz ball peen at hand....

Putting a small screwdriver in the gap seems like a good idea, but it
just makes it jamb more, as Dennis says, it has to come off straight,
and the risk of scratching the crank is high.

Keep jiggling and tapping. Some are REALLY difficult to come off, but
they all have so far!

And the fun begins again when you remove the caps to check the
plastigage! The second time is not much easier...

Frank DuVal