<VV> Corvairs and Corvettes; To Drive...or not to Drive

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jan 1 15:15:16 EST 2010

Thought I'd throw my two cents into this discussion. My
"signature" Corvair, a 1960 crocus cream 700 sedan was
purchased from the original owner back in 1977 with about
33,000 miles on it. I had some paint repair done (sides)
and put all new belt line trim on (that was fun trying to
buy all ten pieces even in 1977!) and then proceeded to
drive and enjoy it. Now it has reached 60,000 on the
odometer. It could use a new coat of paint and some other
improvements. But, I have hesitated to throw a bunch of
money at it because I don't want to turn it into a
"trailer queen". In fact my most recent 1960 project was
an ermine white 500 sedan. It turned out so nice that I am
cautious to drive it. The car was trailered to the 2009
DACC Homecoming event in Plymouth, Michigan. Then it was
trailered to Cape May, NJ for the NJACE Corvair 50 th
Anniversary event. I did drive the car about 1 1/2 miles
from the hotel to the city park for the car show after the
"unveiling" the night before. There is room in my
collection for both kinds of cars.

My other restoration project is a 1964 Corvette Sting Ray.
It started out as a repaint, but right now the fully
restored chassis is parked in the Pennsylvania garage
while the body shop guy is working on the body separately.
Since the cost of restoring a Corvette - especially a
"mid-year" Corvette far exceeds the price of a really nice
Corvair, I will probably not drive the '64 Vette very
much. The late CCE club member that I bought the Corvette
from left it parked in a garage for 32 years because he
and his wife, Dorothy Hansen, would rather cruise around
in their '65 turbocharged Corsa convertible. I'd say they
had the right idea.