<VV> Reason for attending, was: 2010 Convention

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 4 08:46:35 EST 2010

>From my general feeling that I get over many conventions, I think that tech
sessions are generally considered (at least in the back of their minds) as
"filler" material. Certainly their placement on convention schedules seems
to indicate that. I too attend conventions, for several reasons, one being
good tech sessions. In the past I know I've missed many that I would have
loved to attend, due to their inconvenient placement on the schedule, or
the lack of knowing exactly WHAT their subject was to be.

Good tech sessions, well-publicized, and with knowledgable people giving
them, are always well-attended. Extreme examples are the standing-room-only
"tech" sessions that Dave Newell has had on various historic items and
incidents, or those featuring people who were actually involved with the
Corvair development (and who are rapidly disappearing). So giving tech
sessions such a small roll in convention planning is self-defeating.

Reasons I attend conventions (in semi-random order):

1) friendships
2) to see all the Corvairs
3) parts vendors (both new and used)
4) technical info (including tech sessions AND new parts availibility)
5) the "local" attractions

The first four are of utmost importance; the last, something I could do on
ANY vacation. But it sure is a nice way of getting around the country and
seeing things I probably would have never seen otherwise.

-Mark

Conventions.  If they are continually given "short shrift" I'll be
reluctant to show up.