<VV> Rod Cap Removal

Barry Gershenfeld gbarry42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:54:05 EST 2010

Dennis' advice is dead on.  Plus Frank's addition "keep wiggling".  I don't
think I've ever resorted to banging on one of these, and I don't like
sticking a tool anywhere that's been machined (I'm talking about the seam
between rod and cap, here).  So, you just grab the cap at each end near the
seam, and pull straight up.  What happens is that one side comes up before
the other, and it jams.  So, push it back down flat, then try again.  This
time the other side comes up first, and jams.  Push it back down flat and
try to pull up evenly.  A little wiggling as you pull may help get it free.
The secret is perseverance, and after about a minute of this pushing and
pulling nonsense it suddenly comes straight off, leaving you to wonder what
all the fuss is about.  Then you try the next one, and you are at it again
for another minute.