<VV> Rod Cap Removal

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 2 09:48:33 EST 2010

  Thanks for all the replies to my rod cap removal question. I knew I had to get the cap to come off evenly. I wasn't sure on the how. Loosening up the top is easy, getting to that lower cap/rod joint is not. Your replies jump started the little gray cells though and I came up with a plan.
  I took one of my cheap screw drivers (you know the kind, a full set with wooden handles for only $2) and put it in the vise and bent a nice 'J' hook on the end. I slipped it under and caught the joint between the cap and rod and gave the screw driver handle a little upward bump with a hammer. A little tap on the top of the cap, a little tap again on the bottom and presto the cap was off!
  I will keep this tool in my auto specialty drawer. Thanks again for all the ideas. That's what is great about this group........ Always there when you need them.

Greg
Dearborn, MI