<VV> Oil Pressure Switch Improvement

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 17:42:55 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/6/2010 2:20:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
62vair at gmail.com writes:

Paul,  I'm not sure it would make any difference in a no oil pressure
scenario. If  you loose oil pressure all at once, the difference between
when
the light  comes on from say 15 PSI or 7 PSI is in milliseconds with the
engine  operating, faster than you can react. If you are looking for
something  fairly accurate for normal oil pressure ranges a oil pressure
guage is the  way to go.Mark Durham

Because _paul.r.grams at nasa.gov_ (mailto:paul.r.grams at nasa.gov) >  wrote:

> Are there any Oil Pressure Switches that switch on at a  higher pressure?
>  In the past year or so I remember reading an  article in a Corvair
> newsletter that said NAPA had a switch that  turned on at a higher PSI for
> better protection but I do not remember  the part number or vehicle it was
> for or where the article was. Does  anyone have any information on this?

So Seth writes:
There are lots of different pressure switches available. I always installed
 a higher (~15 psi) on the race cars. Longacre or other racing suppliers
have  them. I look at them as true "low-oil-pressure" indicators, rather than
the  "engine-destruct" indicators at around 3-4 PSI. I have seen it (the
15PSI  one) come on in certain tight corners. If nothing else, it will
"Make-You-Look" at the gage. I don't know of a stock application that was this
high, though. I think some MOPAR applications were higher than our stock
Corvair  ones.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette