<VV> Winter Driving in a different wierd car - not a Corvair

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sat Jan 9 07:44:43 EST 2010

When I was going to college in Michigan I had a weird
little Saab 96. It was front wheel drive (now not such a
big deal but weird in the early '70's) and it had a 3
cylinder 2-cycle engine up front. I drove it around town
with my snow tires proudly mounted on the front wheels! We
had a real good snow one weekend (1971?) that shut down
everything. Guys were taking the neighbors to the grocery
store on snowmobiles for supplies. We were digging people
out with a bucket loader equipped Bobcat. And I was
playing in the street racing the snowmobiles. I was doing
fine (my Saab was the Monte Carlo version with 850 cc's
and a triple carb setup!) until the car got up on top of
the 24" of snow and I high centered. Was fun while it
lasted. Not sure if a Corvair would have done any better.
The biggest insult was having to be towed back home by the
Bobcat!! - Former Saabist Pete K