<VV> engine paint question

mikeamauro at aol.com mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 08:22:00 EST 2010

"...Hi Tim, Lacquer is fairly resistant and is what GM used.   Our local
hardware stores have a limited number of colors in shaker can but at  least it
still is available. Dan Kling..."

Yes, to all above, and for many years I have used Plasti-Kote,  Classic
Flat Black, #344, Lacquer. While the name  implies a "flat" finish, the actual
finish is satin, with the  finish being practically identical to the level
of sheen seen with GM NOS  sheet metal. #344 is available, locally, at some
auto parts stores, but is  universally available from the Internet; following
is but one such site:
_http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pm-14780-280-plastikote-classic-lacquer-flat-black-12-oz-can-344.aspx_
(http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pm-14780-280-plastikote-classic-lacquer-flat-black-12-oz-can-344.aspx
)

Of particular interest  concerning lacquer products: they dry very  quickly
(handle within 10-minutes), and are very resistant to gasoline and other
petroleum products. Remove all other paints before applying (lacquer WILL
lift other  finishes).

Mike Mauro
Of various Corvairs since  circa 1971