<VV> Bolt Size Question

sethracer at aol.com sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 19:47:32 EST 2010

Bob writes:
I am going to replace the rear wheel bearings on my Ultravan this year  but
to do that I need to determine the bolt sizes in the universal  joint
carrier.

Brian writes:

Hi  Bob,

I'm away from DC right now and can't measure, but maybe I can give  you
a useful clue.  The '65 bolts are the same size - not  grade, but size
- as valve cover bolts.  I think they have  7/16" heads, but you can
check by measuring any standard 1/4"  bolt.  The bigger '66 - '69 bolts
have a special deep, smaller  cross section head, which I *think* is
3/8".

So Seth writes:

Nope - Both are 7/16 bolt heads. But as Brian mentions, the heads are
quite different in appearance. The 65 are identical to the valve cover bolts -
but (we hope) with the Grade 8 markings on the head - a few radial lines,
and a  loose lock washer. The 66-up use a taller head with a recessed center
and an  integral flange at the bottom where they contact the strap over the
U-joint cap  and no washer.

Both use the same bearings inside 65-69, though and the same Ujoints.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette