<VV> Bolt Size Question

James Davis jld at wk.net
Mon Jan 18 09:44:12 EST 2010

The 1965 Corvair car's rear yokes used 1/4-20x1" grade #8 retaining
bolts.  For 1966-69 the bolts were changed to 5/16-18x2".  These are
special purpose small head, flange head (a typical 5/16" bolt would have
a 1/2 " head.)  The different yokes used different style yoke straps.
The 1965 yokes can be drilled and tapped to make them the same as the
1966-69.   There were about 95,000  65 cars but only 40,000 66-69 cars
made, so the 65 yokes are much easier to come by.  Only the very early
coaches with the late model Corvair suspension came with the 65 style
yokes.
Jim Davis