<VV> Modern Corvair vs. mundane FWDs

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProPer.com
Mon Jan 18 18:26:10 EST 2010

Good point about the FWD domination today !

The Corvair's problem was that was alone and distinct which made it an easy
target.

When FWDs started in the US, it was the expensive Eldorado and Toronado, but
they didn't really succeed because they were different with no real
advantage.

So-o-o-o, "they" decided to inundate us with FWDs so (a) we wouldn't have a
choice, and (b) we'd eventually get used to them and (c) most people don't
know the difference anyway.

>From a handling perspective, FWD is "safer" due to its understeer, which
means people don't get in trouble as fast.  (Sure now they go off the
outside of a curved road instead, but even that is less startling since FWDs
are hard to spin out, which is what makes driving so much fun.

(By "spin out" I mean 180s and 360s, not STOP : "Squeal Tires On Pavement")

Corvairs are harder to spin out that FE/RWD cars, but FWDs are nearly
impossible, which I think makes them "safer"

Mechanics love them too, because all the expensive stuff is up front taking
the impact of pot holes, etc with complex CVJs and steering ear in a very
vulnerable position, so lots of $$ to be made fixing them !

I think FWD is what makes all new cars so mundane, IMHO.

Charlie;