<VV> Modern Corvair vs. mundane FWDs

AC Woolman ac-woolman at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:02:35 EST 2010

Woolman here/

The Toronado and Eldorado were full sized cars and everything still ran under the floor with plenty of ground clearance.  The Citation and friends used the hump for the exhaust, as it would have drug the ground otherwise.

I read once the original idea of the front drive setup in a cradle was so at service time, the whole assembly could be dropped out of the car and a "loaner" drivetrain could be installed, therefore reducing the amount of time the customer's car was off the road.  When the customer's engine was fixed, the assemblies swapped back and the deal done with.

Sounds like a great idea.  A logistical nightmare for sure.

ACWoolman