<VV> Modern Corvair vs. mundane FWDs

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Tue Jan 19 11:03:03 EST 2010

 Fast forwarding to 2010, torque steer is all but gone in today's cars. And compared to a modern RWD car, well, it seems to be a toss up. For one thing, FWD cars seem to run at the less expensive end of the spectrum, while RWD cars tend to be premium products.
Looking at a 911, the only serious rear engine car today, it's no less complicated than a FWD car of the same ilk, not that there really is such a thing, mind you!
And all RWD cars today with IRS, which is pretty much all RWD cars, have CV joints as well. Heck, our Subarus have CV joints in the driveshaft as well as the half shafts!
As far as FWD cars contemporary to the era, Austins, Fiats, Renaults, etc., they were no more complex than a Corvair.

John Roberts