<VV> Modern Corvair vs. mundane FWDs

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Jan 19 16:34:53 EST 2010

Even with an aggressive traction control system and no real torque steer
issues to speak of, with really sticky tires (Kumho MX)  my Northstar
Allante was almost impossible to hold in a straight line under a full power
launch based on the torque and the inherent weight transfer. The front end
didn't "pull", it just sort of floated, so it was a fight to keep it going
straight if the road was anything but perfectly level.

I have to assume that Caddy (1) didn't expect people to drive the Allante
like a sports car and (2) assumed the use of luxury tires which would spin
quickly and engage the traction control, thereby artificially limiting the
car's  performance to the point that weight transfer never really came into
play.

There just was no safe way to use the performance while the Mercedes 500SL
(similar weight to power ratio, rwd) would turn slightly better numbers
without much driver involvement... just mash the pedal and hold the wheel...

Bill