<VV> Engine building - bearing clearance

Les corvair at mts.net
Tue Jan 19 23:07:26 EST 2010

Could someone tell me if I'm losing it here?

I put the block together with .001 U/S bearings in it. I mic the bearing
bore, and I find I have .0006 clearance on #2 and #4, .0010 on #3, and
.0016 on #1. So I take it apart, and put standard bearings in #2 and #4.
That should give me .001 more clearance, because they are .001 larger,
right? I measure, and now I have .0025 clearance...

So are .001 U/S bearings actually .001 U/S EACH, so that a pair of them
take away .002 in clearance?

Looks like what I need on #2 and #4 is a .001 on one side, and a STD on
the other, to give me .001 more total clearance.... correct?

Thanks,

Les

ps - Bob H, your book is coming in handy.