<VV> CORSA VAN - A BROADER PERSPECTIVE AND CPF ANGLE

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Tue Jan 19 21:44:09 EST 2010

A great and realistic idea, but a CORSA van located on the east coast won't do those of us in the west any good, and vice versa.  For this to have some real teeth, I'd suggest having a small fleet of such vehicles located within the various regions of the country.  Put regional directors in charge of the vehicles and have them work with local regional chapters to organize storage, maintenance, appearances, etc.

Re:  the tent, I know former Western Director Jack Pinard pitched a lightweight EZ-UP at the events I saw him at over the summer - he packed and carried everything in his LM convertible with the license plate "JAX PRAD" (jacks parade).  Jack was never shy about promoting the Corvair or CORSA.

here's another thought re this van involving the Corvair Preservation Foundation...
As CORSA's financial limitations will undoubtedly surface at some point, dare I approach this from another angle and suggest a viable tax-deductable scenario exists that this promotional van concept could also work quite well under CPF guidance.  Under this model and generally speaking, as a registered 501c3 non-profit charitable organization, individual contributors to such a CPF-based program would be allowed to deduct all (or at least a portion of) reasonable out-of-pocket expenses associated with developing and then maintaining this charitable group initiative - that would help take some pressure off any potential participant's economic situation.  The program could be operated same as described above using regional directors, and no reason why the CPF would not be able to incorporate CORSA literature and merch along with their own displays. Moreover, an ongoing non-profit fund-raising initiative such as the new www.berlz.com online shopping experience could help potentially underwrite the program.  For those unfamiliar, berlz.com links directly to amazon.com and donates 4% of all purchases directly to the designated philanthropic partner - and participation is by no means limited to CORSA members only.  Btw, according to Wikipedia, amazon's 2007 revenue was almost $15B (yes, that's a B).  This is a great opportunity for CORSA and the CPF to work together now towards our common goal of promoting and celebrating all things Corvair.  In the grand scheme of things, and imo, one of these days, CORSA and all of its affiliated programs will ultimately fall under the CPF umbrella anyway instead of the other way around.

Rod Murray
Vintage Corsa
VP, PR, Web
www.VintageCorsa.com