<VV> Willow Springs Weather Concerns (Report) Yah, it was wet!!

Mark Aksamit mark at vintagecarcare.info
Sat Jan 23 12:34:33 EST 2010

OK I am back in Cottonwood, AZ for more rain and flooding!
Larry Tustison and I were the only two, HMMM,, Corvair guys to show up and
drive our cars in the rain all day! I did enjoy the track as I have never
run
the big one at Willow.
They grouped me with all the fast cars (must have been the stripe on the
car)!
Anyway I did gain some valuable experience driving in miserable conditions!
The
rain was on and off all day and the track never really dried out. I never
got
my street tires to heat up suficiently. My car understeered terribly all
day. I
finally kept letting air out until got down to about 20 pounds in the front
tires I also through the spare from the trailer in the trunk for some
weight! I
guess it is time to get rid of the 380 treadwear front tires? (GRIN)! I
followed several of the faster cars and learned the line around the track
and
was able to find the limits of the tires. Neither Larry or I had any off
road
excursions. Due to the track conditions horsepower was really only able to
be
used on the straights. Neither Larry or I gave up much in the corners. After
about 20 laps I was amazed how fast I could go in the rain. When you are
from Arizona this is not a skill one gets to practice on a regular basis.
The promoters of
the event were VERY hands off and we both teched our own cars and our Vairs
were the cars to watch run! My son took several shots of us fighting
puddles. Thanks Austin your Dad loves you! If you have any comments or
questioins about
this type of event please feel free to ask me off list at
mark at vintagecarcare .info
<http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/dc/mark%40vintagecarcare.info>  I have
posted several Vids on Youtube to get a kick out of! It was bad weather but
any
day at the track with my car is a good one!

Mark Aksamit

http://www.youtube. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0SCIqxipQ>  com/watch?
v=SS0SCIqxipQ
http://www.youtube. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEpyg5grIJo>  com/watch?