<VV> Drain plug installation--64 FC manual transaxle

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 24 14:03:42 EST 2010

IIRC, the boss is still there on the 64/65 differentials, but you can
not drill and tap them while they are installed in the vehicle.

I drove a low miles 64 PG sedan for many years with a leaking pinion
seal. The diff would fill with Dexron, not a good lube for that
application. So I drilled a hole in the bottom of the diff case and
tapped it for 1/4" pipe (NPT). I just looked and drilled it where the
drill and tap would not strike the ring gear. Used a 1/4" NPT pipe plug
to close. On 65-69s I have drilled one of the strut rod bracket holes
through to drain. Just put sealer on the bolt when reinstalling.

Just how often do you change the diff/trans fluid? That was never a
normal PM procedure for me. Usually done when changing seals or other
major repairs.

Frank DuVal