<VV> Frustration with Clark's Corvair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Jan 27 08:21:56 EST 2010

At 04:15 PM 1/26/2010, John Kepler wrote:

>Am I expecting to much from Clarks?  I would hate to see how Clark's would
>deal with a difficult modification!
>
>Frustrated from 'down under'
>

>Gee....expecting a non-standard, custom part at an "Off-the-shelf" price!
>Yeah...you're expecting too much.  Sorry you folks in Oz have to drive on
>the wrong side of the road!
>
>BTW...what the hell makes you think what you want isn't a "difficult
>modification"?

...isn't this a bit harsh?

If it had been me, I'd have been wondering why a custom carpet
wouldn't have been available as well.   Wasn't the request made with
allowances of plenty of lead time?

There can't be that many middlemen between the guy who slices a
length of automotive carpet off a roll to make a Corvair part, and
the fellow in MA who stuffs it into a box for shipping.    If a
contractor is so arbitrary that they can't be bothered to respond
positively to a request by Clark's to make a carpet without the pad
attached, it's simply unfortunate and a bit of an example of how
customer service has dwindled to a trickle in today's domestic
manufacturing for niche items like carpet specifically made for a
40-50 year old car.

...unless that carpet is coming from China... ;)

Clarks might not be at fault here and may be getting a bad rap, if
it's the contractor who can't be bothered to make a custom
piece.     Seems that the flak needs to be fired off in that
direction and maybe not at Clark's.    Where I work, we supply odd
things to customers in the construction business and we'll go out of
our way to do custom work to keep a customer happy.   Of course we
don't have a lot of middlemen....

Maybe the resident Aussie needs a proxy here stateside to work in his
best interests to see if something can't be worked out.    It would
make a great human interest "see what we can do" piece for the back
pages of a Clark's catalog, regarding a custom carpet made for a
Corvair from "dahyun undeah".  (tongue in cheek talk-funny reference
)  Probably a likely candidate for a Communique article for that
matter...  if it's timed right and it's a slow month and the
Communique is a bit light on tech articles.   The right greasing of
the wheels of progress and a bit of attention in the direction of the
right person might turn this into a satisfactory situation that might
be good for everyone.

tony..