<VV> Frustration with Clark's Corvair

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Jan 26 18:31:08 EST 2010

I've no intention of Bashing Clark's---there would be a LOT more Corvairs
masquerading as washers and refrigerators if they had not made the
investment into things like floorpans, patch panels, etc.

 I remember in 87 when I first got into Corvairs, many FC's were on blocks
due to bad rear wheel bearings. AFAIK Clark's spent the bread to get the
bearings that were needed to put them on the road again.

And I can tell you this much: If Clark's buys their carpets from one of the
major manufacturers (Like American Custom Carpets in AL),  They are getting
what is called a "contract job".

Steele does these contract jobs for certain parts from non USA car parts
vendors.  Not too many either.  The price has to be recalculated for each
job run, if its been more than 6 months since the last request.   And you
don't do small runs either.  No different at Timken Bearing.  Special orders
from the US Department of Defense (Tank Bearings), Caterpillar and John
Deere required runs of a minimum 10K units to get their spec's, all Rockwell
tested, packaged the way they wanted them, etc.

Getting a manufacturer doing a contract job to make one set different
wouldn't happen. You set up and run the job.  That's it till next time.

I sympathize with my Aussie and Kiwi friends, as well as the Europeans and
Japanese who use RHD.  But there's just not enough calls for a RHD carpet
set to justify a run, especially if you want all the different colors
represented.  And they would sit a long time in inventory.  That would also
cost some dollars probably needed elsewhere.

Hank