<VV> Space saver spare tire (humor)

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 15:29:37 EST 2010

In keeping with my policy of always finding complicated ways of solving
easy problems, I now have a space saver in my 1965 Corvair.
I rummaged around in the storage tent until I found a space saver tire
and wheel.  It was brand new (aren't they all, as nobody uses them?) so
I decided to use it.
Unfortunately the bolt pattern was probably metric as it didn't fit the
car.  So what does the average jack-leg do?  Cut out the metric center
and weld in a Corvair center!
I now have one that fits and it has a couple of nice benefits.  The
wheel has a bunch of holes around the periphery so I slid it in farther
than normal and run the bolt thru one of these extra holes instead of a
lug nut hole.  This moves it over far enough that you can actually see
and work on the RH carb without removing the tire.  It is also much
lighter than a standard wheel and tire.  Since I am "weight challenged"
I figured the lighter spare would help out in the gas mileage area.
Clark Hartzel