<VV> Unique fan belt keeper-oner

corvairs at pacifier.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Wed Jan 27 15:57:20 EST 2010

  The idler bearing does turn faster than the crank in it's normal
location, but not that fast. I think, appart from necessary permanent
modifications to the shroud, that the higher bearing speed may have been
one of the problems.

  The other is that the whole design is based on the assumption that the
belt can be retained by limiting its deflection. The factory thought
that as well, to some extent, by adding belt guards. But time has shown
that the belt guards do very little, which lightening the fan did
everything.

  A good education can be had by watching our spring loaded idler on
multiple engines. Even when all things appear to be good (no bent
pullies etc) some idlers will vibrate substantially when at idle and
others are quite smooth. This says to me that there are more subtle
issues that are yet to be identified which cause distortions in the belt
under operation.

  Knowing this, the miracle is that more Corvair fan belts don't come off.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com
800-825-8247

NEW WEBSITE!  Jan sale almost over.