<VV> Unique fan belt keeper-oner

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Jan 28 07:44:38 EST 2010

At 03:57 PM 1/27/2010, corvairs at pacifier.com wrote:

>   A good education can be had by watching our spring loaded idler on
>multiple engines.

Actually all it takes is watching it on ONE engine.

I played with one to a severe degree trying to flip the belt
off.   No matter what, even blips all the way up to valve float, the
belt stays on.   And, the idler pulley dances around like a Dervish
the whole time.

Bangshifts from Hell won't even yank the belt off either when this
spring loaded thingy is in place.

>Even when all things appear to be good (no bent
>pullies etc) some idlers will vibrate substantially when at idle and
>others are quite smooth. This says to me that there are more subtle
>issues that are yet to be identified which cause distortions in the belt
>under operation.
>
>   Knowing this, the miracle is that more Corvair fan belts don't come off.

Only reason they don't is those deep pulleys and they only work to a
point.   I'm feeling lucky; haven't tossed a belt in a couple years
now, because I don't thrash the cars and I know how to install a
'Vair belt.  ;)

tony..