<VV> Engine building - more bearing clearances

Les corvair at mts.net
Thu Jan 28 00:05:29 EST 2010

OK, as a result of all the good advice, I gave up trying to measure
bearing bores with my crappy tools. I assembled and torqued the block
and crank first with .001 US then with .002 US, and settled on .002 US
as that gave me clearances of .0015-.0020 right across.

Now to the rod bearings. Plastigauging with STD bearings I see about
.002 clearance. Books say .001 best, .003 max. For a stock 140/4sp
street engine that likely won't see more than 3000 miles a year, do you
suppose it's worth $100 and a week out of my schedule to wait for a set
of .001 US bearings to give me .001 clearance? The engine will have an
Otto high volume oil pump (and Otto pan and pickup, just because I have
one). I'm thinking I probably could never tell the difference.

Thanks,
Les