<VV> Unique fan belt keeper-oner (Now, Those Flapping Belts)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Jan 28 19:14:21 EST 2010

Dale,

You are not exactly correct.  Analogies such as you describe are used to
understand similarities in different disciplines.  However, the analogy you
draw between the mechanical components and an electrical circuit though
correct in general is not the cause of the flapping belt.  I believe we were
talking about the flapping and not so much the variable looseness and tightness
of the belt.  Under the steady conditions of idle, the tightness and
looseness variance caused by the crank is minimal but does excite a particular
frequency.

The belt flapping is caused by sympathetic vibration that is excited by the
crank pulses Craig described.  The pulse frequency (or a multiple of the
pulses) matches the frequency of the section of belt that is vibrating.  To
draw a musical analogy, piano tuners often start the process by striking a
tuning fork of known frequency and holding it close to a piano string.  If the
string vibrates, its natural frequency is the same as the tuning fork.  (A
multiple of the natural frequency is not likely to happen in this
application.)

If the vibration of the belt at idle is disturbing, you can change it by
one or more of several methods.

1.  You can change the idle speed so that the belt and crank pulses no
longer match.

2.  You can change the tightness of the belt.  To use another musical
analogy, think about the strings on a guitar.  As you tighten or loosen the
string, its natural frequency changes.  You can easily hear the difference.

3.  You can change the mass of the belt.  A thicker belt will have more
mass per unit length and will want to vibrate at a lower frequency.  Again,
think of guitar strings.  The thicker strings (more mass) vibrate at a lower
frequency and the thinner strings (lower mass) vibrate at a higher pitch.

Keep in mind that the sections of the belt are different lengths and can
change tightness depending on whether you are accelerating or decelerating as
well as other variables.  As an example, you might vibrate a section of belt
under normal idle but it might not vibrate once you load the
alternator/generator with headlights, radio, wipers, defrost fan and such turned on.  This
alone could change the tightness of the belt enough to cause a visible
change in vibration.  Also, if you make a change as suggested above, one section
might stop vibrating and another start vibrating.

Best regards,

Doc
1960 Corvette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965
Greenbrier; 1966 Corsa turbo coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 1/28/2010 3:15:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,