<VV> [FC] Ignition system

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 09:30:12 EDT 2010

 That is a light diode system.

Lots of people like it and unless they have changed something there is an internal timing issue. I have had a couple on cars and both vehicles had the same thing happen, inside the cap after about 5-8,000 miles you will see inside the cap where the ignition arc will have been jumping to the contact and burned part of the cap.

The system works fine and is pretty reliable. I always had some little thing that I thought was wrong with the engine, I don't remember the details, but I got to looking around and pulled the dist. cap just to look and I then found what was happening. I had customers that had the same ignition and I pulled those caps and checked with the same thing starting to happen.

With that, I have heard others say there is no problem with the system.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com