<VV> VR Code .... Now VD

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 04:08:36 EDT 2010

Gary,

The "VD" engine was the FC version of the 102 HP engine.   It was only
offered in the FCs very early in that first year it was available in  cars.  The
reason it was withdrawn is that it is a poor engine for the  FC.  It will
knock itself to death.  The HP and torque bands of the  102 come in at fairly
high RPM.  It works OK in a car but the FCs need  power at low RPM.  It is
fairly rare (I have one) which is why it is not  often shown in the usual
lists.  If you want to use it, you may want  to change the heads to lower CR
and change the distributor or at least the  innards of the distributor to
bring the HP and torque bands lower.  I think  the cam shaft is a little more
radical too but replacing it requires a complete  tear down of the engine.
The engine will perform OK in an FC with just the  head and distributor
changes.

Good luck,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 7/5/2010 1:25:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  10