<VV> Starter Mystery-Continued/Solved?

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Jul 7 09:56:29 EDT 2010

If the Ignitor was trying to run on such a reduced voltage, that's likely
the cause of death. Outside of the abuse cases (where someone left the key
on with the engine off) and racing use, nearly 100% of the known Ignitor I
failures are with modules hooked directly to the coil rather than to a 12V
source as specified by Pertronix.

(Even though the Ignitor II is protected against either of these sorts of
death, it really made a performance difference when I changed from ballasted
voltage to 12V in the Corvair Westy)

Cranking an Ignitor with the primary wire disconnected can also kill an
Ignitor (and possibly a coil as well... killed a coil not that long ago
myself in a BMW doing a compression test without disconnecting the coil
power)

Bill