<VV> It don't get no better / well maybe sort of

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 13 21:24:14 EDT 2010

Good evening all, Yesterday I left all of you with the warm and fuzzy
good feelings of our Corvair outing and now as Paul Harvey used to
say "The rest of the story":
      I had left the Canton, GA Chevy dealership after saying my
good-byes to the Choo Choo crew and was cruising down I-575
toward the exit that would take me to my younger brother's home for
an afternoon visit and cocktail hour ;-) I had called him on the cell
phone to let him know I was on my way and would be at his place
before 3:30 pm. I was less than 5 miles from his home when I heard
that nauseating  "plink" from the engine area of daBrier and all of a
sudden the engine revved up to about 4000 rpms. Previously I had
noticed the rumbling from a replacement axle that some may remember
was replaced by Dan Terry in his driveway
last year when he was supposed to have driven daBrier to the Walter
Mitty / Road Atlanta Vintage races in May of 2009. Just a day before
Ironically wise Prez Dan Terry said "I would be a bit concerned about
the noisy axle for that trip." Yes I had procrastinated for a number
of reasons including physical health reasons and not having enough
time to prepare Darth Vair before the Cedar Rapids convention. Now I
knew it had to be done and when I finished the trip it would be the
#1 priority on my Corvair to do list. When I arrived in Blairsville I
was even concerned enough that we inspected it with the wheel jacked
up and the axle turning under power. The unanimous decision was I
should replace it when I got home from the trip. The more demanding
part of the trip was over and most all the rest of the trip would be
cruising 4 lane roads so I was not overly concerned.
      Concern was an understatement when I got out of daBrier and
observed the obvious as the tire had been closely shaved by the wheel
well lip. The tire was a bit worse for wear but was intact and looked
almost as good as the 3 other less than 1000 mile tires I had
purchased brand new from Bill Elliott less than 2 years ago. Actually
Bill had given them to me and asked that I do something nice for
CORSA which I did by running the Car Corral for 4 days at the Walter
Mitty. Well, the next step was "HELP" and I first called Dan Terry as
I was close to his house but he was already committed to a family get
together so next I called Tony Kruzich hoping he may have arrived
home but since his trip was 65+ miles longer than mine or Dan's trip
he had not yet arrived home and I didn't have his cell phone #.
     Sooo I was on my own to solve my problem. Next was a call to my
brother to let him know the situation and then a call to my wife,
Liz, to see if she could locate an 800 # for Hagerty's Insurance.
YES, I had done my homework the day before the trip and talked with
Hagerty's reps and renewed my annual policy and ADDED 50 mile tow
insurance to the policy. I had listened to Dan's advice, sort of, and
bought the insurance. :-)
      It took awhile to resolve the tow question since it was a
weekend, my policy was brand new, Al in Arizona didn't have the new
imfo in his computer, I initially forgot that I had my Insurance card
in the glove compartment and the Insurance offices are closed on the
weekend. Al was finally able to access the correct Imfo, confirm that
I did indeed have the coverage, contact the nearest Hagerty
approved wrecker service and arrange for the flat bed tow of less
than 50 miles (whew) to my driveway. My wrecker driver, Kim, was  a
40ish 5'4" female driver who was great and knew her business. She had
driven dump trucks for her brothers before getting into the
3rd generation family owned tow service called Ingram's. When she
pulled up to load daBrier she informed me that today is the day to
tow old cars as she had towed a 1941 Nash that morning. We were soon
loaded and off for home in the cold AC of the wrecker cab and I was
drinking from the cold bottle of water that her dispatcher had her
bring for me. We were in my driveway in about 45 minutes ( 6:15 pm )
and I thought what could have been in the 2 lane mountain roads or on
the dreaded I-285 arc around northern Atlanta or my being without
such excellent service from my Hagerty's Insurance and Ingram's
Wrecker Service. I had the replacement axle installed before 9:30
that night. "It don't get no better .........well maybe sort of !!! ;-)
Chuck Armer
Travels with daBrier

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member