<VV> It don't get no better / well maybe sort of

Jay Pitchford jay.pitchford at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:27:20 EDT 2010

I was driving my 65 Corsa convertible on a cross-town 'honey-do'. Twelve
miles from home I swept up a 30 second 270 degree interstate exit cloverleaf
(oh, how I love that LM's handling) at low-to-moderate revs in 3rd gear. As
I exited the ramp at the top, I heard a heart-stopping knocking sound. No
lights, no other signs of impending doom.

I drove it about a mile to my destination with a heavy heart. I called AAA,
as I have Plus as well. The dispatcher asked where I was towing it to ... I
replied home, but ultimately it would probably have to go to Galion OH to my
mechanic.

He looked up the mileage to both places and suggested I pay for the initial
tow to my house ($100+) so that it would not be recorded as a tow request
incident. He told me you get one tow per incident, and I should save it for
the 65+ mile trip to Galion. I took his advice and saved huge bucks. Nice
guy, great idea.

When the engine was torn apart, we found a brass throttle plate screw in the
#6. Looks like it was lying in the intake manifold, and the 270 degree
sweeper rolled it into the cylinder. On the first compression stroke, it
embedded into the head and stayed there ... no bouncing around or destroying
things. I have a nice threaded divot in the head, and a matching one in the
piston face. The mechanic flipped the screw out with his thumbnail when the
head was removed.

There was another throttle plate screw missing a head, which probably
explained why the PO had to replace that same head shortly before selling
it. Needless to say, the throttle plates are all getting new screws and will
be splined on replacement. If I could braze them in, I'd be tempted.

Michael Leveque is now rebuilding the heads, since the engine's all torn
apart anyway. He found valve guides just about worn through on the PO's
replacement head, so I'm determined to replace/harden/upgrade as much of the
power plant as practical now. It means I haven't driven the car since April,
but I've been assured by my mechanic that I won't have to bring snow tires
to pick it up :-D

Jay "Stupid Lucky" Pitchford
Columbus OH