<VV> Porsche/Corvair

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Jul 15 11:50:23 EDT 2010

All:  Apparently some commentators on the Corvair/Porsche subject are either
not CORSA members, or have not read their May or June Communique.  See the
article Karl Ludvigsen gave CORSA permission to reprinted.

There is no evidence Porsche built any flat 6's for any application other
than normal development engines for the 911.  I didn't search my dozen or so
Porsche books to see if they tell when the first flat 6 was assembled.  But
I think Ludvigsen's article at least suggests Porsche hadn't made a engine
configuration decision for the 911 until after the Corvair was introduced.

Up until the 911 introduction, Porsche had flat 4's in the 356 and in both
sports racing and F1/F2 race cars.  They also had flat 8's in both sports
racing cars and F1.  The flat 8's were mostly the architecture of the racing
flat 4's, only with more cylinders.  They did not run any flat 6's in
racecars before the 911 introduction.

Obviously the design of the 911 engine started well before production.
According to "The Porsche Book", conception work on the 911 began in 1956,
with chassis and engine configurations developed over time.  Kind of a
normal new model development and introduction process.

All the jabber about Porsche doing engineering work on the Corvair is pure
gibberish.  Those who still believe that should check their medication
levels or consult with their dealer about the purity of whatever they are
smoking.  Truth is the Corvair engine may have influenced Porsche's engine
design configuration for the 911.  But they were perfectly capable of
developing the 911 flat 6 if the Corvair as we know and love it had never
happened.  There's no co-dependency there.  Notice Porsche did not take any
clues on suspension design from the Corvair, or replicate the weight
distribution for the 911.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

PS:  Anybody want to start a thread about Porsche farm tractors?  Did they
do work for Deere, or the other way around?  VBG!!

Message: 4