<VV> Best Way to Remove a Late Model Powerglide Dash

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 23 22:36:23 EDT 2010

There are two styles, '65-6 and '67-9.  You can remove both with a screw and a nut on the back side, using a 1/4 drive ratchet set. It's a little bit of a job, but do-able with the dash "loose".

But first you need to deal with the shifter "knob". On a '65-6 the "T" unscrews. On a '67-9 the knob is "supposed" to pull off (but with great force) but is thereafter "ruined" and won't go on very tightly afterwards. Between the "great force" you usually would have to use and the damaged fit afterwards, I advise against that method. Best finagle it thru the hole, as sometimes you CAN manage to do without too much further damage.

This leaves the shifter loose but still attached to the cable.

I've had many of both styles apart for servicing, so I know all about all the tricks.

-Mark

Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone