<VV> Fw: 1967 Corvair Monza fuel pump

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 24 03:29:36 EDT 2010

Charlie,

If it is the right pump, the right push rod, the mating surfaces are smooth
enough for a good seal, and the screws are tight enough for a good seal,
then there is not much else left...

The material used for the diaphragms would be the first suspect.  If it is
NOS, forget it and throw it away.  There is no way that it will stand up to
modern gasoline formulas.  You could probably message it (the rubber
portions) with WD40 or something in order to make it work for a while.

If it is current (last 5 - 8 yrs or so) material, then you are probably OK
in that area.  I'm not an "expert" on mechanical fuel pumps, but know at
least most of the issues and have seen an out of use (15+ years - original
GM) one brought back to life with WD40.  I still have one apart (someplace)
and have material that I want to try (some OTHER place) to see what sort of
results I get.  So, when I get those things together (after finding them),
I'll report back to VV.  Do NOT hold your breath while waiting for an answer
on this one.

Oh, there can be other internal problems in the pumps.  I'll move over and
invite those who have dealt with those to speak up.

Later, JR