<VV> Mechanical fuel pumps

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Jul 24 22:48:49 EDT 2010

Smitty Says:  I have listened to this absolute garbage about mechanical
pumps filling crankcases with gasoline for the several years I have been on
VV.  Not that they aren't capable of doing it mind you.  Just the almost
panicky sounds the electric pump advocates love to make about destroying
engines.  In my years of using mechanical pumps (and hundresds of thousands
of miles) I have experienced maybe 4 pumps that added gas to my crankcase.
Based on that I would say one would have to be blind, stupid, or both to
drive such a failure to the point that the engine was damaged.  Gas in the
oil?  Oh me Oh my, lions and tigers and bears.  Don't ever let it out that
gas in oil will imediately destroy engines, or we will have to shut down
billions of chain saws and weed whackers.
So yes they can fail and put gas it the oil.  So drain it out and put new
oil in, change the pump,  Log an engine flush in your maintenance record.
But please spare me the drama.