<VV> 67 mechanical fuel pump

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jul 25 17:34:52 EDT 2010

At 10:19 PM 7/24/2010, PETER INMAN wrote:
>I just had a brand new fuel pump in a fresh fairly expensive total
>rebuilt 110
>with about 10 hours on it go bad.

That's about how long it takes a bogus pump to fail... did you check
those gaskets to see if they had fiber reinforcements?

There are STILL some of those bogus pumps floating around that
haven't been weeded out yet.   And even if you TELL the flaps guy
about the ones he has in his warehouse, what do you think will happen
to them?  Likewise the vendors who might have one slip past them now
and again...  it happens.   That's why this topic keeps being brought
up, to get people to save themselves a lot of trouble by checking
that new pump up-front to insure they didn't buy one with the wrong
gasket material.

Again, it's not just Corvair pumps.   Other marque pumps suffered the
same issues with this flaky gasket/diaphragm material.

>I noticed my oil pressure wasnt as high as it
>was reading earlier and knew something was wrong. At the same time it quit
>running,no fuel. Long story short, pump failure along with about 0ne
>quart extra
>oil. Thats all it took to make a believer out of me on Electric fuel pumps.

All it should do is make you a believer in checking what you put on
the engine.  ;)   The process to check a new pump for the RIGHT
gasket material has been talked about and discussed a LOT in
here.   And, it's easy to check...  I've even offered to send, to
anyone who asks, a photo demonstrating the visually evident
differences between the pumps with the right stuff, and the bogus
pumps that WILL fail.

If all your engine experienced was a quart of gas in the oil, I'd not
worry over anything.   Nothing got damaged.

tony..