<VV> 1967 Corvair Monza fuel pump

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jul 25 14:01:50 EDT 2010

At 03:25 PM 7/24/2010, Ron wrote:
>I'm presently running three Corvairs, all with mechanical fuel pumps, and
>have never had one leak fuel into the oil.  What's the problem?
>RonH

Sure, some mechanical fuel pumps sometimes fail.   Most of the time,
they do not fail.

The 140ci engine in my '60 4-door lasted until 2 years ago before it
swallowed a valve and broke a piston.   It was STILL running an
ORIGINAL fuel pump.   Far as I know, it likely will still
work.   That engine is currently in storage.

I did replace it some years back when the car began acting like it
was running out of fuel, thought the pump was gagging out, replaced
it with a known good late pump (with matching pushrod), problem did
not go away, replaced that piece of rubber hose with the almost
invisible crack in it behind the driver side rear tire, good to go
again.    A couple weeks later, I put the original fuel pump and its
pushrod back on the engine.   It's still on the engine and is still
likely a good pump.

There's a '66 110 engine in the car now, purchased from somebody who
told me he took it out of a wreck w/30,000 miles on it in 1971, had
been stored in his heated basement until I bought it.   It was
untouched, still had its original (showing wear) spark plugs from
what I could tell (44FFs) and didn't appear to have ever had a screw
turned on it.   It's still untouched... and now desperately needs
tube seals.   However, its 44 year old fuel pump continues to work
just fine.   (So do the spark plugs)

That's with today's gasoline.   Going on two years now, no leaks and
no issues.   They say that today's gas will kill an old fuel
pump...  hasn't killed this one yet.   It never killed the pump on
the original '60 engine either.

All the 'Vairs here are running mechanical pumps.   The ONLY one that
ever leaked fuel into the engine of anything was a bogus pump
inadvertently installed years ago on the blue '69 car, and it had
those unreinforced gaskets and it slipped by me.  Replaced with the
correct pump, no more issues.  If you use a mechanical pump that's
assembled with the Correct fiber reinforced gaskets, it should last
20 years or more.

I won't be installing any electric pumps.   I know the mechanical
pumps are capable of working just fine.   And they do.

One last word:  Sometimes a pump will be replaced for the wrong
reason... and get blamed for a problem that may not have been the
pump's fault... like the crack in the 20 year old piece of cracked
hose in my '60.

tony..