<VV> Paint Strategies

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Jul 26 09:38:36 EDT 2010

Well, there is no real direct answer.  A lot depends upon how thorough a job you are planning.  Were you the one that was planning on removing all the factory paint?  Are you planning on removing / replacing all the weather strips?  Will you be removing the doors, deck lid, and hood?  How about the latches and hinges?  Is the interior out and the top removed?  And where is the paint application to be performed?

If it were my job I would do the painting in my garage.  I would not strip the factory finish any more than necessary but, I would remove the doors, deck lid, and hood then thoroughly prep inside surfaces and 'cut in' the color coat.  By 'cut in' I mean paint all the secondary visual surfaces such as door openings and door inners, including the engine compartment, and overlap the finish onto the surrounding outer surfaces.  Then I would replace the doors etc. and finish sand the outer panels.  Rinse and clean inside and out, then apply the finish coats.  I strongly recommend mixing all the paint at one time, less any hardener additive.  Once the color is complete it will be necessary to 'black out' the wheelhouses to hide the over spray and to produce a 'factory' look.  The factory let the over spray run past the rocker panels and over the floor pans so you may want to do the same.

This method requires a lot of assembly after final finish but, it keeps the upholstery and everything free of over spray as well as producing a factory, as opposed to a repainted, appearance. I use old comforters and blankets on everything for protection.  I would install the drive line and paint the trunk last.

Ken P