<VV> Overheating - Deflashing Heads

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:57:52 EDT 2010

Bill, I assume you are using a full synthetic oil, because a regular oil
will not sustain those temps for very long without coking up on you. A 10-40
or even a 15-40 or 45 would not be unreasonable in this high heat.

Also, you can gain some temp relief by leaving off the bottom tin until
cooler weather. Some say 20-30 degrees cooler. that takes a few minutes to
do, so if you plan on driving the car more, make sure it has the right oil
in it and take off the bottom tin right away.

The tin and all of its components need to be in place to provide efficient
cooling, there is a whole list of stuff to do to make sure your car and
engine is AC ready in Clarks books, if you didn't do some of those things,
its certainly worth a look.

Have you calibrated your temp guages for accuracy?

You might even find that is sufficient, and not have to deflash.

Deflashing the heads is easiest done from above. You will have to remove
whatever gets in the way to take the top tin off, then do a thorough
inspection with a light in between the fins. Take the bottom tin off so the
flashing falls out onto the floor, and make sure you blow out any that stick
in the lower baffles around the cyl bases.

The drill will work for some areas, but I also used a fine hacksaw blade in
a hand held holder and trimmed out some areas as well. The drill bit would
work as a stopping point. Drill at the end of a cleanup area and then clean
to that hole. I also used a fine thin small file and a thin round file to
finish off rough edges.

Its hard work but worth the effort.

Regards

Mark Durham