<VV> Charging disconnect wiring

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 01:43:29 EDT 2010

In a message dated 7/28/2010 9:44:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:

I needed  to confer before I responded to this one.  From my "secret"
source:

"Some people just make it harder than it should be. You can buy  a 100amp
upgrade external very easily but why? It does not charge well at  idle.
That's why we use the 63amp one from the parts store. More than  plenty of
power."

Later, JR

Oh boy - So many smart (at least about electricity) on here. I want to ask
a question. What I would like to do is run an internally regulated
alternator  (preferably not a single wire alternator) on a Corvair, but with one
additional  feature. I want to be able to flip a switch in the drivers
compartment to remove  any electrical/charging load on the fan belt. It could be
either before engine  start-up, or after engine start-up. Two important caveats
- First - It  has to be safe, I don't want to set the car on fire and
second - flipping  the switch cannot damage any part of the equipment. I would
like to be able to  turn the charging capability on or off at any time, but I
could live with  having the stop and re-start the car before flipping the
switch. I realize that  much of the load on the fan belt is from the inertia
of the alternator, but I am  greedy for HP and I want as small a load on the
cooling drive system while I am  abusing it - uh, I mean driving it.

So -  where in what circuit does the switch go?

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair,  Camaro, Corvette

San Jose, CA