<VV> MY ALTERNATOR CONVERSIONS

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jul 31 12:45:42 EDT 2010

At 05:15 PM 7/29/2010, corvairs at pacifier.com wrote:
>   Well, belt life suffering is the effect. The cause is slippage, which
>is, I would think, much greater than simply running the engine at 4800
>rpms (which by the way would be pretty severe engine use)

I sometimes wonder why more people haven't simply added an AC or smog
pump pulley to the crank and used it along with a home brew bracket
to drive an alternator via a 2nd belt, while adding another idler
pulley for the standard fan belt to run the fan.

Removing the alternator/generator load from the fan's drive belt
would go a LONG way towards extending belt life along with making it
a lot less likely to toss a belt.    Be sure to use a smog/AC motor
mount bracket.

People modify 'Vairs in many different ways to improve things...
seems somebody would have done this along the way.   If I had access
to a machine shop to fabricate brackets I would have... but then I
don't drive as aggressively as I used to (aversion to tickets) so I
usually don't toss belts these days.

I know, if it works don't fix it.   But it would be kinda handy at
the autocross to help keep the belt on the engine.   I've seen more
than one autocrosser/racer with no alternator on it at all, just a
2nd idler pulley to route the belt.   ...and no spring loaded idler anywhere.

tony..