<VV> Advise wanted (Now; Con Men)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sat Jul 31 13:46:51 EDT 2010

Daniel,

First, I assume you are selling your present house to buy one  with a
bigger garage/shop for your growing collection of Corvairs, right?   :-)

Next, I assume that the Ivory Coast guy is trying to buy the  house without
seeing it.  Let me guess, he "just knows that you are a very  ethical
person and he trusts you."  NOBODY would send you a large check for  something
like a house without checking it out.  It is most definitely a  con.

What I would do is play the guy along just to learn his  methods and
perhaps torture him a little.  Get the check from him but do  not bother to
deposit it because your bank will probably charge you a "returned  check" fee.  I
would frame the check and keep it as a conversation  piece.  By the way, the
check will be for more than he promised and he will  ask you to return the
difference to him or send it to a third party who needs  payment for
performing a house inspection or some other duty.  Tell the guy  that you didn't
receive the first check.  If he has a signature from you,  blame it on your
brother-in-law or a house sitter who you recently discovered is  a thief.  He
will replace it.  The second check might have been eaten  by your dog, or
parrot or check weevils.  See how many checks he will send  you before he
wises up.  At least, you will cost him the price of one or  more overnight
shipping charges.

A second plan might be to tell him that a vice President of  the Bank of
Nigeria is offering you 25% more than your asking price for the  house and get
him into a fake bidding war.  No doubt, he will tell you that  the guy is a
con man and do not trust him.

Have fun,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 7/30/2010 4:37:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  9