<VV> Setting the Timing

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 1 03:15:43 EDT 2010

I know you said to not answer, but I just can't help myself: 93 oct.
This is just another reason to love Texas!  I thought it was pretty
clear, but let me use the correct terminology; the timing scale goes
to 16 degrees advance (18 if you count the end of the aluminum scale -
no number here; just an educated guess).
The next question is : How does one know that detonation is
occurring?  I  that believe it is a sound (pinging ?), but I have
never experienced it.  This is just another reason to love Texas.  Is
the pinging like the old submarine movies only speeded up?  The
members of NTCA and I have spent considerable time and effort (and
money on my part) rebuilding this engine, and the last thing that I
need to do is something that would jeopardize that. I really need to
know what I'm looking for (detonation).  I've done enough stupid
mistakes on this project to fill a small novel.  I really don't want
to start on the next chapter just yet.

BTW  What is it about my name....???
Just saying....

StephEn

P.S. Bob, Chuck and Harry... Thanks for all you have done this time
and countless times in the past.  I took the car out tonight and had a
lot of fun just enjoying the unique driving pleasure that only a great
running Corvair can offer.

One more  quick question.  The Corvair Basics says to set the timing at
24 adv. on a 110 with PG and AC when you have a timing mark that
indicates that.  I do have a PG with AC (no compressor as of yet  -
need more $$$).  The head on the right is probably original,  the one
on the left is most likely correct as it had to be replaced  but was
done so by a CORSA member and mechanic.  Should I set  it at 14 (PG no
AC) or use my advance on the timing light as the  indicator only goes
to 16 degrees

Stephen  U

Stephan,
Set the timing as far advanced as the engine will tolerate without
detonating. All the specs you mention relate to higher octane being
available  when
written. What octane gas are you using? (no need to answer)

It isn't clear from what you said whether your engine has the timing
scale
with a max of 16 or 24 degrees, but in either case I'd suggest 14 for a
setting.  And as you might already know, the 24 deg setting was for
engines
that were  claimed to be 110 hp but actually had 95 hp heads.
Regards,
Bob Helt