<VV> Corvair Value

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jun 1 15:07:06 EDT 2010

I too have been called on too many times to mention to appraise a Corvair, or tell someone "what it's worth".
99 out of 100 times, I end up telling someone something they really don't want to hear.
I have even  given a phone number of someone I know who does appraisals, but seems, most people will not pay for this service and expect it for free.
Worse case is someone who wants a value over the phone........sight unseen, but cannot answer simple questions, only basics, like how many doors does it have.
A non-runner NJ car, multicolored, not even known if it is roll ready.
$200 to $400, and that may be generous.
To settle an estate, the executors are probably not prepared to invest any money into getting it presentable, running, or properly evaluated. Unfortunately, many cars like this are sold for scrap.

There are those out there, that will have heard of Barrett Jackson auctions, and that some Corvair sold for a ridiculous amount of money. Someone giving a low ball estimate of value will be accused of trying to steal from them.
No good deed goes unpunished.........

The last "runner" needing minimal effort I picked up I got for $4200 for a 66 Monza with 4-speed, perfect paint, Corsa Dash, custom interior. Needing a new turn signal switch.
To put a car needing an interior and paint job and motor in the condition mine is would cost twice what I paid for mine, a losing proposition.

Gary Swiatowy
opiinions are worth what were paid for them............