<VV> Corvair Value - Restorations

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 20:20:50 EDT 2010

The is a neat little book, Rebuilding the Indian, detailing some aspects
of an idyllic restoration project -- there is an interesting blog at
http://motorcycleviews.com/general/restoreabike.htm -- Corvairs
particularly are not much different than old bikes -- it says, in short --

I read a book called Rebuilding the Indian -- A Memoir, by Fred Haefele
shortly after I became an About.com Guide. Here's an excerpt from a
review <http://motorcycleviews.com/books/blbkrev03.htm> I wrote about
the book:

      "The author was a 51-year-old tree surgeon, an ex-professor with
      an unsuccessful novel, when he decided he wanted to put $5,000
      into a basketcase of Indian motorcycle parts. His dream was to
      convert the pile of parts into a restored 1941 Indian Chief
      motorcycle. You learn the process that one goes through to
      completely restore an old motorcycle but more importantly, you see
      the transformation of a restorer into a new man, a man he thought
      he would never become."

Also worth noting are the people he met and friends he made during the
process.  As the ad says these days, "Priceless!"

So whether a Hundred or a Thousand, maybe the price is irrelevant, if it
doesn't make anyone go without food or shelter.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland