<VV> early model engine removal question

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 21:43:56 EDT 2010

Ray, Kevin's advice is correct. The balance point for the engine and
transaxle is about where the cam gear is, actually, just forward of that on
the pan face, so I removed the pan and installed the same 2 x 4's as Ray,
drilling holes and using long screws same size as pan bolts, and added a 2 x
2 cross wise ahead of the cam gear. The whole unit balances on that 2 x 2
and you can lower it straight down.
You will need to remove the wheels and drums and the four nuts that hold the
axle bearings to the back plate, and the axles will simply pull out of the
diff. While at it, check those bearings and u-joints.

Once out, the diff/trans comes right off with ease.

Mark Durham