<VV> early model engine removal question

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Jun 3 10:41:42 EDT 2010

You can put me squarely in the camp of those believing that drivetrain
removal is far easier on an early model than a late model.  BUT --
notice the use of the word "drivetrain."  I personally prefer removal of
the engine and transaxle assembly as a unit, and apples to apples, this
is far easier on an early model than a late model, even allowing for the
late model's superior perimeter seal design.

In fact, when the debate about "early vs late" comes up, I use as a
point in favor of early models the easier drivetrain R&R.

If, however, the question concerns removal of the engine, only, my view
is that this process is easy on a late model and should not be done on
an early model.

The original question, if I remember correctly, was whether the owner of
an early model should remove the engine, only, or the entire
drivetrain.  While some have pointed out that the engine-only technique
can be employed on an early model, my viewpoint remains that the
original questioner's life will be made easier if he removes the whole
schmeer.

--Bob Marlow