<VV> early model engine removal question

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 12:40:59 EDT 2010

I'll confirm what Bob has to say on the removals. I have done several clutch
changes just by removing the engine only and it was a real hassle trying to
get it all lined back up at an angle, I was 17 then and could manhandle
things, not so now at 60 :):), and there is a chance you could bend that
shaft.

It took more time fooling with that than it did for me to remove the whole
thing, and do the clutch change on the jack last year, then reassemble,
since things just slipped together easily on the jack. Leave the cross
member on the trans so you don't mess up the shim arrangement and change
alignment.

In fact, with the equipment I had, I could not jack the car high enough to
get the engine out, so I bought a cheap $15 dolly at harbor freight, set the
engine on that, and just rotated the assy around so the trans was sticking
out the back and took things off down to the case, resealed that area, and
changed out the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate too.

GM made it easy to remove the whole transaxle/engine assy, it was in fact
the first unibody car and that's exacly how they dealt with the
engine/transaxle, hence the reason for the nice engine cradle they have in
the repair manual.

Mark Durham